Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Have you thought about it?

Have you recently thought about what you will do when your parent's get older and are no longer able to care for themselves? Have you wondered what it would be like when they are gone? Have you ever really thought about all of the hours they have truly cared for you when you were younger? Well I have. I do not want to be boastful but felt it necessary that I share this story with you. Two weeks ago my girlfriend and I bought our little ones to the zoo. It took 45 mins to get there so everyone including me needed to get to the bathroom. As I was walking to the bathroom and very old lady maybe in her late 80's was getting out of her wheel chair. I graciously let her go ahead of Christian and I. We were finished by the time she made it half way across the restroom. Christian and I stood there watching her and then she made the comment "Why do you think it was necessary to put the handicapped stalls on the far end of the restroom?" Her voice crackled while she was talking and it truly broke my heart. As I stood there I thought to myself ask her if she needs help, just ask. So I asked her "Mam would you like for me to wait for you and to get your wheel chair for you when you are done?" She was completely shocked as tears filled her eyes she said "Yes". I walked out to ask the two men(reason why no one could help her) if I could bring the wheel chair inside and wait for her while she went to the restroom. She was more than grateful and it was a great lesson for Christian who absolutely adores Older people. As I wheeled her out the older man had tears coming from his eyes. . . The reason I am sharing this is because that was the day I vowed to take care of my mom and Colin's parent's when they can no longer take care of themselves. Don't we owe it to our parent's? They have done so much for us we should only do the same.

1 comments:

Jessica said...

I couldn't agree more! Kent and I joke that its going to be a regular retirement home around here as we've said we'll care for my parents, his parents and an aunt who never married or had children. I know some families have no other option but to place their loved ones in a long term care facility, but I pray that God would always provide a way for Kent and I to care for our loved ones at home.

I'm often afraid to offer help to elderly people I see, thinking the offer will insult them. I think your post is not only a challenge to think about caring for aging parents, but also a challenge to care for strangers as we live our day-to-day lives. Thanks for posting. :)